Here you can find our recommended tools and resources for OICD Institute researchers and students. Click on the links below to check them out.
Tropes Semantics Software
Text Analysis Software
Identity researchers are constantly concerned with identifying patterns of meaning in what people express. People’s words are rich in cultural imagery and thus even short utterances are complex and nuanced.
Originally developed for actual semantic analysis (e.g. within linguistics), the now open source Tropes software allows one to plug in text and analysis clusters of words of phrases that might have interesting “meaning making” functions. Done right, this software can really ramp up the ability to visualize a given population’s semantic possibilities.
The Human Relations Area Files (HRAF)
In this regular look at the importance having access to effective tools in the challenging process of researching, analyzing and strategizing identities, we are directing readers to the Human Relations Area Files Database.
e-HRAF is an online database of contemporary and historic ethnographic information on hundreds of societies around the world. A great place to start when building up an identity profile or background of a particular population.
In addition, through the ease of access to a large well-sorted and edited collection of historical ethnography, the identity researcher/strategist can compare the past with the present, and evaluate whether older forgotten cultural concepts have the potential to be reintroduced into a present day population in order to achieve a variety of cohesion building initiatives.
Resources for Peace and Cohesion
- Hudson, R.C., Benedek, W. and Ferrandiz, F. (Eds.) 2009. Peace, Conflict and Identity: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Research. Bilbao: University of Deusto.
- Korostelina, K. 2007. Social identity and conflict: Structures, dynamics and implications. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pinxten, R., Longman,C. and G. Verstraete. (Eds.) 2004. Culture and Politics: Identity and Conflict in a Multicultural World. New York, Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- Rothman, J. (Ed.) 2012. From Identity-based Conflict to Identity-based Cooperation: The ARIA approach in theory and practice. New York: Springer.
- Schwartz, S., Luyckx, K. and V.L. Vignoles. (Eds.) 2011. Handbook of Identity Theory and Research. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Slocum-Bradley, N. (Ed). 2008. Promoting Peace or Conflict through Identity. New York: Routledge.
Add a text to this list by emailing email@example.com with "add resource" in the subject line and the reference in the body of the email.
- Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research. Identity research from psychology, sociology, anthropology, human development, education, gender studies, family studies, and psychiatry.
- Journal of Language, Identity and Education. Focus on how language (second, minority, indigenous) impacts individual and community identities and intersects with educational practices and policies.
- Ethos. Journal of Psychological Anthropology with good coverage of theoretical dimensions of identity and culture.
- Self and Identity.
- Social Compass. Multilingual journal on the sociology of religion.Journal of Contemporary Religion.
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.Journal of Adolescence.
- Group Processes and Intergroup Relations.
- Human Organization.
- Political Psycholog.
- Political and Legal Anthropological Review.
- American Ethnologist.
- American Anthropologist.
- Current Anthropology.
- The Sociological Review.
- Journal of Intersectionality. Focus on the interconnected and interdependent nature of social identity categorisations and the potential for overlapping systems of disadvantage.
- Discourse and Society.
- Journal of Sociolinguistics.
- Journal of Identity and Migration Studies.
- Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture.
- Race and Class.
- Decolonization: Indigeneity, Education and Society.
- AlterNative: An International Journal of Indigenous Peoples.
- Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies
- Ethnic and Racial Studies.
- Diaspora Studies.
- Journal of Refugee Studies.
- International Journal of Intercultural Relations.
- Journal of Sociolinguistics.
- Social Inclusion. Open access.
- African Identities.
- Gender and Society.
- Masculinities. A Journal of Culture and Society.
- Journal of Homosexuality.
- International Journal of Transgenderism.
- Journal of Jewish Identities.
- Islamophobia Studies Journal.
- Journal of Peace Research. Interdisciplinary global focus on peacemaking.
- Journal of Conflict Resolution. Interdisciplinary focus on international/national conflicts between states, groups and individuals.
- Journal of Peace Education. Committed to furthering original research on peace education, theory, curriculum and pedagogy.
- Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology. Examines the interaction of peace and conflict at interpersonal, community, regional, national, and international levels.
- African Journal on Conflict Resolution. Specialises in showcasing African authors (alongside international authors), providing a much-needed perspective from the Global South.
- Global Change, Peace and Security. Perspective from the Asia-Pacific Region.
- Peacebuilding. Focus on postcolonial, subaltern and ethnographic perspectives.
- Conflict and Society. Anthropological journal. Open access.
- International Journal of Peace Studies. Open access.
- Journal for the Study of Peace and Conflict. Open access.
- Peace, Conflict and Development: An Interdisciplinary Journal. Open access.
- Peace Studies Journal. Open access.
- Conflict and Communication Online. Open access.
- Journal on Religion, Conflict and Peace. Open access.
- The Peace and Conflict Review. Open access.
- Journal of Conflict Management. Open access.
- Peace and Conflict Studies Journal.
- Journal of Peace and Change.
- International Journal on World Peace.
- Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice.
- Peace Research: Canadian Journal of Peace and Conflict Studies.
- Conflict Resolution Quarterly.
- Journal of Resistance Studies.
- Journal of Aggression, Conflict and Peace Research.
- Human Rights Quarterly.
- Journal of Peacebuilding and Development.
- International Peacekeeping.
- Negotiation and Conflict Management Research.
- Journal of Global Peace and Conflict.
- Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy.
- Media, War and Conflict.
- Special Topic: Decolonising through a peace and conflict studies lens.
- Special Topic: Music and art in conflict transformation—A review.
- Conflict Analysis Framework: Field Guidelines and Procedures. 2015. Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC). The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Working with Conflict: Skills and Strategies for Action. 2000. Fisher, S., Ludin, J., Williams,S., Abdi, D., Smith, R. and S. Williams. London: Zed Books Ltd.
- Reflective Peacebuilding: A Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Toolkit. 2007. Lederach, J.P., Neufeldt, R. and H. Culbertson, Mindanao: The Joan B. Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, University of Notre Dame.
- Conflict Analysis Handbook: A Field and Headquarter Guide to Conflict Assessments. Oliva, F. and L. Charbonnier. 2018. United Nations Systems Staff College.
- Making Peace Last: A Toolbox for Sustainable Peacebuilding. 2012. Ricigliano, R. London: Routledge.
- Gender and Conflict Analysis Toolkit for Peacebuilders. 2012. Conciliation Resources.
- Conflict Analysis Topic Guide. 2017. Herbert, S. Australian Aid and University of Birmingham.
(forward requests to add to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Organisation for Identity and Cultural Development articles. Articles on identity and conflict aimed at a general readership.
- Peacebuildingdata.org Research and evaluation by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative.
- Centre for Research on Peace and Development working paper series. KU Leuven.
- Conflict Research Programme. London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Identity and Conflict Lab. University of Pennsylvania.
- Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS). University of Oxford.
- Centre for Identities and Social Justice. Goldsmiths University.
- Centre for Collective Violence, Holocaust and Genocide Studies. UCL.
- Centre for Gender, Identity and Subjectivity. University of Oxford.
- Centre for Citizenship, Conflict, Identity and Diversity. University of Huddersfield.
- Cultural Heritage and the Reconstruction of Identities After Conflict. European Commission project.
- International Centre for Transitional Justice
- Art and Reconciliation: Conflict, Culture and Community. Partnership between UAL, KCL and RCA.
- Oxford Network of Peace Studies.
- Governance and Social Development Resource Centre. University of Birmingham.